Just a little bit of work and the site is now behind Cloudflare for mo’ speed (and save those route-53 charges it was 50 cents a month!)
and I’m just too lazy to type build commands … so yea, more Travis
going full cheapo and migrate my personal website from vps hosted wordpress to github pages
Let’s face it, why pay for hosting if you don’t make money from it? it’s sad but true
What I need:
- a website
- a page to serve as the main page for my domain name
- a hub to link to all my wordpress plugin projects
- and a few website projects
- something a little easier than handcrafting htmls by hand
- reliable website that is not hackable
What I don’t need:
- WYSIWYG editor - i’ve done enough markdown and html
- ever changing pages contents - why do you need it for a blog or personal website?
- commenting platform - i’m sick of managing spams, if i need one i’d use managed services like disqus.
github pages seems a good fit, and hey it seems to be much faster and reliable than a cheap VPS hosted wordpress!
what do you think?
my AWS free tier is over, $60+ per month for EC2+RDS is a bit too much for my own personal website…
the site was down for a few weeks, now everything is migrated to a cheap vps hosting, it should be fine for another while
Amazon RDS is now in free usage tier, actually it was already available on my last post haha
so of course I’m already using it, now the website should be fast and reliable, no more memory headache happy time
This site went down for a few days due to a common AWS micro instance issue — out of memory and mysqld got killed.
So I went in and tweaked some apache settings … also upgraded to apache 2.4+php 5.4… for maybe slightly lower memory usage…
hope it won’t go down again that soon
— just tried nginx, got it running and doing phpinfo() correctly but takes too long to manually setup all these rewriting stuff for wordpress…… maybe I’ll try that again some time
…. down again, added swap partition…..